Monday, May 24, 2010

Ahhhh Simple















So little is I find. On any given day, the hugely important or significant down to the mundane, never really seem to be easy. I suppose it's all about perspective but tell me life does not have a way of getting utterly complicated.
It is this very fact that day by day, layer by layer, life in all it's complications seems to cement my approach to food. I like simple, comforting but at the same time interesting and a degree of history or soul. It has taken me a very long time to find my voice and see a clear perspective. I was cluttered for a long time. Trying to assimilate too many cultures, styles, bad or unhealthy
influences, choke down an ego, etc. Then one day...clarity. Today is a good example. I woke up and knew exactly what I wanted to cook. When I found myself @ the produce at Publix, all the voices which say "go this way or that, why not try this with this," were at peace in silent harmony. My waking brain said "make pasta and use whatever is in the freezer, the rest will work itself out......but since you're out getting a sub at Publix, find something cool. Some kinda green or hey, spaghetti squash!"
I love cooking for my wife. I love cooking in my own kitchen. Frozen chicken thighs, a slab of pate, a chicken carcass, and some maple cured pancetta turned into chicken farce ravioli w/ spaghetti squash and a jalapeno parmigiano reggiano broth then liguine w/ chickeny pancetta ragu.














@ the restaurant, the wrong size case of fresh mozzarella turned my head back to Rome and to the present....a hot week in Florida. Simple, fresh, regal mozzarella, roasted cherry tomato, prosciutto, red onion, and basil. This one flash frozen for my 2am enjoyment. Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment