Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pullin' out weeds before the heat...

What I have on my mind.....well had on my mind about a month ago when I wrote this.....

Beer actually. I think this fits in nicely. A few weeks back, after having sampled it's creations on occasion, some friends and I trekked across to the dodgy part of town to Bold City Brewery. Who knew that JAX had a brewery let alone a pretty great one at that. Friday night, I showed up late as usual, in dingy whites, to what looked like a semi abandoned warehouse. Cars were parked at random and a small crowd stood in the lot, shivering through cigarettes, in front of an open warehouse garage door. Was I at a really dull rave or some kegger gone askew? I walked on in and there sat my wife and friends at a card table in the middle of gargantuan walkins, piles of empty kegs, and stainless brewing drums. It was awesome.

At Bold City and as a newby, you are offered a free couple oz. sampler of all the brews. I went right for the stout. A pint was presented to me and a piece of paper with a penciled in slash next to pint. That's how they roll. No tabs. In the small closed-in bar, you get your fill, wander around, and turn in your paper before you leave, and pay a set amount per slash. The honor system is alive and well.

The beer is actually quite fantastic. Good stout. Becca likes the Killer Whale Cream Ale I think and my go-to is Duke's Cold Nose Brown. Truly inspiring sitting in amongst all that equipment and the totally humble scene of brewer to patron. Very cool. A family put all in on a dream and successfully created something special. After my second full round of cheesemaking, specifically havarti, it's on to beer. Pictures, notes, and cheesing/brewing diaries to come....and hopefully samples of cheeses.I said I'd do it and alas, never got past cutting and waxing. But they are aged and ready to go. Till next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment