Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ocean Grill Tasting

So, yesterday I did a four course tasting with an amuse for the Ocean Grill Chef gig here at Omni Amelia Island. The brief explanation is, I came on as the supervisor but the chef above decided to move on within the first two weeks I was there, so naturally I applied and was granted the opportunity to cook for the Executive Chef, F&B Director, Assistant F&B Director, and......wait for it.....Brennan! For me tastings are always rewarding learning experiences. This the amuse, house made brioche toasted with foie gras butter, scallop, and radish salad.

Here's a copy of the menu I printed out....

First course, Point Reyes Blue with Heirloom Tomato, Fig Vin Cotto, and Micro Kale....I think I was probably a little off on the ratio of blue to tomato, and originally I wanted fresh figs but the one's we received didn't make the cut.....
Next, Duck prepared three ways with pistachio. Seared breast, Duck Confit and Farmer's Cheese Agnola and Powdered Duck, I really liked this one......
Butter Roasted Halibut, Candy Stripe Risotto with Goat Cheese, Baby Fennel and Fennel Butter....This was a solid dish, but I feel I could have used regular beets and that it was a mistake to not showcase the unique look of the candystripe beets...I always keep that fennel butter in my back pocket, a little thing I picked up at the bluezoo....
Last, Hanger Steak with Turnip Greens and Tabsco Foam, there was a little Maderia glaze for some sweetness.


And that's that, its always fun to challenge yourself and would encourage young cooks to do the same given the chance.....till next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment