Thursday, February 24, 2011

......so many roads.

Time to come back to the place we always were at.  How clouds of sadness and such seem to hide, cover up, and distort the basic truths of life.  There is good, there is light, there is laughter and joy.  We need to look for and strive to find it I think.  This is one way that I relate to the world.  Food is good, cooking is good, and it relates to us all.  It binds us, it comforts, it heals, it nourishes, and it finds us in the light and in deep, dark places. 
I can not and will not let all that is dark distract me from the pure joy of cooking any longer.  It is time for a return to the kitchen and a true return to cooking.  As Brennan put it so well, it is time for something simple.  There is a common denominator that has bonded myself to the Pickren brothers and it is food in it's stripped down, true form.  Really and truly, we were too young, stupid, and green when we first started our twisted relationship to see anything other than food and the business as raw, bare bones product and potential.  We got caught up in it.  We got clouded.  We worked too many hours.  The faces and breathes of those too near and dear are not familiar enough. Not constant.  We saw many sides of this thing, this beast that is hotel/FnB/restaurants.  I think and hope we are better people for it.  But here we are searching for.......what? 
I am in a food town.  I have wandered an amazing food market, but I do not belong here. 
         Perhaps it is life's challenge to bring that which I know of to where it is not?  How contrived is that?  Very....look, very bottom line truths here.   I have talked a lot of trash about the town I live in and it's food culture but no where in my self absorbed rants did I ever try or think to try to do anything about it.  It's a specialty of mine.  Selective judgement from a pedestal of apathy.  Love to criticize, never feel much like doing anything about it.  
      But what do mine eyes see on yonder horizon?  Could it truly be that we are back? 
Crazy that we started this blog to get our name out, relieve stress, rant about nonsense-mostly me, but all of it across miles or hundreds of them.  We have been given the rare opportunity to come back home where we first met, regroup, and go onward.  I see better than to take that which we know and throw it out in a vast variety of ways.  Foodbros @ ur next county fair or festival or street corner.  Time to take the food I believe we know so well and bring it to the people.


So, on a real level, here's what's happened.  I went to the Dekalb Farmer's market outside of Atlanta.  For those of you like me who don't know better, in Georgia, the "L" is silent.  Maybe it's me but if I wanted to say De-kayb, I would spell it as such.  Anywhoo, this place rocks but no pics are allowed.  Food network or some equivalent made them feel to big for their britches me thinks.  But it is pretty cool comparatively speaking.  Seafood and proteins aside, the produce, asian specific, along with spices and dry goods is pretty impressive.  Honestly, the isles of spices, flours, legumes and their pack sizes at this place make me kinda in need of a shower and a cigarette after I'm done.  Too much stimulation and culinary possibility at the risk of..no wait, I've already gone gross with this.  A beautiful assortment of habaneros, chipotles,  Garam Masala, Tandoori Masala, Poonjabi Masala, Cocoa Nibs, and Sechewan peppercorns all for less than $2 for a 2 oz. container.  

I have made a valiant effort to keep my posts clean.  I did otherwise a year ago because it seemed funny, rebellious.  I come off sounding like Sir Lancelot defending some maiden.  It's made me more of a douche I think.  But here and now I have to cut down to the brass and say that it has been a pretty shitty end of 2010 and beginning to 2011.  I want and demand better for us all, those of you who I know well and those who I know not.  Happy thoughts people and happy cooking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment