Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"Clutter creates chaos" Scott Crawford


Organization is the key to everything for a cook. Everything has a place and a reason for being in that place. When I look back 8 years ago, when I started my career, at my standards for cleanliness and organization compared to where they are now, I can't believe I was able to get through the day. Soiled rags laying unfolded on prep tables, cooks standing in piles of their own mis en place, dishes and utensils scattered all over the place with no rhyme or reason. I was the least anal person in the Georgian Room and these things still drive me crazy. No matter how good you are, your always going to feel busier without organization. If your in a little rush, you'll feel busy. If your busy, you'll feel like your in the weeds. If your in the weeds, you'll feel like your going down in flames. "Clutter creates chaos." Chef Scott said it to me when I first started at the Georgian Room and I'll never forget it because it couldn't be more true. If your obsessively clean and organized, the most difficult menu with the most covers under the worst conditions can feel like child's play.

No comments:

Post a Comment